Tabs

{tvb} SSSS Ep 10-28 & The Confidant Ep 1-19 Thoughts

Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles
The series is enjoyable, albeit a little draggy. The main storyline that concerns Arthur Chung Cheuk Man (Damian Lau) and the building project is uninteresting to me. Although he is smart and calculating, I do not like how he deceives Chi Kwan (Tavia Yeung) and his son, Kai Sun (Kenneth Ma) into thinking that he's doing it to help the mui jai (slave girls) when in fact it is just to benefit himself. Granted, that doesn't make him a bad person, but it's sad when Chi Kwan thinks that he is doing it to help her. I also dislike that Master Fok (Sek Sau) blames Lester's (Stefan Wong) death on the Chung family. I imagine some more drama will be coming from his conflicts with Cheuk Man. 
A storyline I prefer to the business one is the one concerning Yee Yin (Idy Chan), Cheuk Man, Chai Yat Fai (Ben Wong), and in a way, Chi Kwan as well. It is surprising how wishy washy Yee Yin is to regarding her love life. She tells Cheuk Man that she does not love Chai Yat Fai anymore, but later when she hears he got beat up, she is willing to drop everything to go visit him. I don't think that she is truly in love with either of them. It feels more like she feels guilt towards the both of them. Anyways, I'm glad that Yee Yin and Chi Kwan are good friends. Chi Kwan learns more about Cheuk Man while observing the conflicts, and Yee Yin has someone to help her during her hard times. 
I also enjoy watching Siu Yau (Rebecca Zhu) and Kai Sun together. So far, Siu Yau is such a sweet character, and Kai Sun is also such a good man and loving husband. Muk Shui (Ron Ng) comes back and just has to ruin everything, though. After he comes out of his coma, it's so obvious that he is faking losing his memory. I've got to hand it to Ron, though, because he shows elements of Muk Shui onscreen when nobody is looking, and so only viewers could tell that Muk Shui is only pretending to be mentally challenged. Although I greatly dislike his character, I'm looking forward to how this storyline plays out. 
And last but not least, I just have to say that I love Ho Yee (Sire Ma) and Tat Chi (Adrian Chau) together. 

The Confidant

I am loving this series right now, after spending a few days to watch from the beginning to episode 19. I really loved the beginning, especially the Jing Ren palace and how Lady Yuen (Selena Li) and the eunuchs and maids interacted with each other. The beginning really made me dislike Empress Dowager Chee Hei (Michelle Yim), but as the episodes passed, I've come to like her. I just don't enjoy the politics scenes or the ones with Empress Dowager Chee On (Maggie Siu), though. The eunuch group of Li Lin Ying (Wayne Lai), On Tak Hoi (Raymond Cho), Sheung Hei (Raymond Wong), Pang Sam Shun (Power Chan), and Tin Sau (Edwin Siu) is especially cute to watch. I didn't like Pang Sam Shun in the beginning, especially when he bullied Sheung Hei and Lin Ying, but he wasn't a bad person. I could tell that he changed after he caused Sin Yung (Nancy Wu) to miscarry. 
I don't particularly care for the Emperor (Oscar Leung) or his empress troubles, even though I am glad that Oscar is finally getting screentime. I actually liked the kid emperor story with how Lin Ying helps him know about the Empress Dowager Chee Hei's love for him. I don't like the Princess (Aimee Chan) either. Hopefully, there are more scenes of the eunuch group before it gets all broken up. 

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a post about the history about the Mui Tsai system that Tavia & Co. tries to abolish. Also Historical Context relating to The Confidant, such as character profiles & events during that time period.
    http://casualtvb.blogspot.ca/search/label/Historical%20Context

    ReplyDelete